SEOUL and BERLIN — Samsung Electronics and SAP SE today announced initial plans to deliver enterprise mobility solutions for a number of industries; once implemented, the plans are expected to help create an enterprise mobility ecosystem based on Samsung mobile devices. The new ecosystem will be designed to build on the popularity and reach of Samsung’s mobile innovations and SAP Mobile Platform. The collaboration of the two companies is expected to create new opportunities for developers to build solutions that can leverage the integrated offering from Samsung and SAP on mobile devices and wearables, as well as to leverage joint cloud solutions based on mobiles services for SAP HANA Cloud Platform. Additionally, the plans are anticipated to benefit the retail industry by integrating payments to be made on-to-go, along with helping to shed light on innovative shopping experiences for consumers and retailers alike. This announcement was made at SAP TechEd && d-code, being held November 11–13 in Berlin.
Samsung and SAP Team Plan to Simplify and Secure Mobile Enterprise
The new plans are to add to Samsung’s broad portfolio of devices, wearables and enterprise mobility solutions so users can benefit from SAP Mobile Platform and have more secure and simple integration with the SAP ecosystem. It is intended that the combination will allow the extension of enterprise applications in a secure intuitive manner to the extended workforce and help provide businesses with shorter time to market, quicker access to revenue streams and improved real-time decision support to executives and the workforce. The parties plan for mobile applications and user experiences to be engineered to help take advantage of Samsung device capabilities, thus aimed at giving a competitive advantage to workforces that use Samsung mobile devices. This approach is expected to help facilitate web and mobile developers to innovate with Samsung and SAP, and the large system integrators ecosystems of both companies may be enabled to more quickly create vertical solutions that can address the needs of the market and the game-changing opportunities in the Internet of Things (IoT).
“Increasingly, our customers are away from the desk and require a fundamentally new way to interact with the enterprise applications to align with how they work today,” said Steve Lucas, president, Platform Solutions Group, SAP. “The applications that match the current trends in mobility must work to create a seamless experience as the work modality embraces mobile devices, wearables, Internet of Things and other alternative forms of mobile computing. Through our partnership with Samsung, we are working on plans to offer a premium mobile enterprise experience for customers.”
Enterprise Mobility Solutions for Industries
Samsung and SAP expect to initially focus on key scenarios in vertical markets where the shift toward mobility coupled with emerging IoT user scenarios in the workplace presents the greatest opportunities for the collaboration to bring value to customers. Through these new plans, the parties intend to help unlock multiple new features of existing SAP applications and platforms by coupling them with Samsung’s mobile innovations.
- New solutions will be designed to enable innovative shopping experiences by helping provide retail store operators with more immediate access to inventory and product availability data adapted for Samsung’s portfolio of connected devices, including mobile devices, wearables and large format displays.
- Plans also include for retail sales employees to be able to access customer data and use the SAP Precision Marketing solution to help enable one-to-one marketing with their consumers while informing and influencing consumers in real time at the points of sale. Other critical business tasks like accessing customer data, looking up product information and implementing mobile payments are planned to be made available on Samsung mobile devices and wearables for the sales representative while on the retail floor.
Oil & Gas
- The SAP Work Manager and SAP Field Service mobile apps are available on ruggedized Samsung GALAXY Tab Active, delivering an optimal experience for completing work on-site in the field
- The two companies plan to also extend SAP software integration to Samsung wearables to create a hands-free user experience that allows field workers in heavy industries to receive information and respond more quickly and safely to urgent issues with minimal disruption to their work.
- SAP and Samsung intend to co-develop mobile banking solutions to enable a secure and user-friendly experience for banking and insurance customers.
- The two companies also plan to co-innovate solutions to deliver smarter banking services and enhance the onsite banking experience for visitors with innovative mobile solutions, printers and large format displays.
- Samsung and SAP aim to bring the power of analytics from SAP HANA Cloud Platform to Samsung mobile devices with customized applications for the healthcare industry.
- The companies also plan to collaborate to enhance personalized healthcare management with solutions designed to provide more secure connections to personal health information stored in the cloud as well as personalized management service options.
- Samsung and SAP also intend to launch a pilot project aimed at managing chronic disease based on SAP HANA Cloud Platform.
Other key elements of the plans include:
- To provide the ability for developers to optimize the SAP Fiori user experience and SAP Field Service for Samsung’s device portfolio to help deliver world-class user experiences using the unique features of Samsung’s mobile devices, such as S Pen, Multi Window mode, S Voice and Air Gesture.
- Development of scalable customer relationship management (CRM), human capital management (HCM) and enterprise resource planning (ERP) solutions on SAP HANA Cloud Platform, which are expected to help deliver actionable insight and data on Samsung’s mobile devices and wearables.
- Collaboration on new enterprise applications and solutions through the formation of a planned Joint Innovation Center.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in technology, opening new possibilities for people everywhere. Through relentless innovation and discovery, we are transforming the worlds of TVs, smartphones, tablets, PCs, cameras, home appliances, printers, LTE systems, medical devices, semiconductors and LED solutions. We employ 286,000 people across 80 countries with annual sales of US$216.7 billion. To discover more, please visit www.samsung.com.
For more information, press only:
Cathrin von Osten, +49 6227 763908, email@example.com, CET
Dorothea Sieber, +1(650)2768661, firstname.lastname@example.org, CET
SAP News Center press room; email@example.com