MADRID — SAP today announced plans to deliver six new SAP mobile apps for Windows 8, bringing new innovations for SAP customers. SAP also announced forthcoming support for Windows 8 development on the leading SAP Mobile Platform as well as security enhancements to the SAP Afaria mobile device management solution. Through these apps, platform support and security enhancements, SAP plans to extend business processes to Windows 8 to accelerate a business’ ability to run better with devices of various form factors. The announcement was made at SAPPHIRE NOW + SAP TechEd, being held as a co-located event in Madrid from Nov. 13-16.
SAP Mobile Apps for Windows 8
SAP plans to offer six business apps for Windows 8 for use on devices of various form factors focused on enterprise functions such as training, recruiting and sales. All six of these mobile apps are planned to be available for download in both the Windows Store and SAP Store. These mobile apps include:
- SAP WorkDeck, developed first for Windows 8, is a new persona-centric app that offers contextual integration of various information sources and processes into a role-based view. SAP WorkDeck allows employees to initiate new requests, oversee upcoming events and monitor the progress, as well as enables managers to react and process workflows on-the-go, such as travel, leave and purchasing requests.
- SAP Manager Insight is an employee profile app that provides managers with access to key indicators, such as diversity, headcount, employee talent by location, as well as employee profiles, to drive collaborative and informed human resources (HR) decision-making.
- SAP Learning Assistant is a training app that gives on-the-go workers tag-along teachers. It makes on-demand, online training available anytime, anywhere so workers can access required classes to address compliance and job requirements.
- SAP Interview Assistant is a recruiting app that eases the cumbersome task of arranging interviews. It also helps managers review candidate information, prepare notes, record results, and provide immediate feedback to HR.
- SAP Customer Financial Fact Sheet is a customer profile app for account executives to access financial data, invoices and critical sales orders in real time.
- SAP GRC Policy Survey is a policy app for employees to review and acknowledge relevant policy changes and fill in surveys to ensure they understand the policies.
“We look forward to our ongoing collaboration with SAP, to create great new apps that our customers can use to address business needs and uncover new opportunities,” said Erwin Visser, senior director, Windows Commercial, Microsoft Corp. “We are very pleased with the commitment of SAP to Windows 8; the apps that SAP is developing for Windows 8 take advantage of the beautiful new Windows user interface and will help our customers be even more mobile, secure, productive and efficient.”
These apps aim to take advantage of the touch capability and features of the new Windows user interface, such as zoom, tiles and Snap mode, enabling users to easily interact with SAP data. All SAP mobile apps for Windows 8 are planned to include a trial mode to allow customers to be able to download the apps from the Windows Store and evaluate them before purchasing.
“SAP continues to build on its tradition of delivering innovation to its enterprise customer base, in this case, providing the foundation for mobile computing,” said Sanjay Poonen, president and head of Mobile Division, SAP. “SAP takes advantage of the current install base and customer relationships to transform enterprises to a mobile-centric computing model. We look forward to helping our customers fully leverage Windows 8 and bringing new business and consumer apps to the industry that take full advantage of the new Windows user interface.”
SAP Mobile Platform for Apps for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8
Enhancing Enterprise Security Through SAP Afaria
Customers can help secure their mobile environment to help protect Windows 8 devices, content and apps using one of the industry’s mobile device management leaders, SAP Afaria, which is available for Windows 8 today. SAP Afaria is also now certified to fully support Intel-based tablets featuring Windows 8.
“Having SAP Afaria available for Windows 8-based devices with Intel® Atom™ and Core™ processors greatly expands mobile device choice,” said Rick Echevarria, vice president and general manager, Business Client Platform Division, Intel. “It also helps improve the overall effectiveness of customers’ enterprise mobile solutions by increasing content and enhanced application security.”
SAP also announced plans to develop apps for Windows RT and Windows Phone 8.
Product Name Changes
Sybase Unwired Platform is now called SAP Mobile Platform and Afaria is now known as SAP Afaria.
For announcements, blog posts, videos and other coverage during SAPPHIRE NOW + SAP TechEd Madrid, visit the Events newsroom.
Gartner, 2012 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms
IDC, #236835, Volume: 1 Mobile Enterprise Software: Market Analysis
SAPPHIRE NOW + SAP TechEd Madrid
In 2012, SAP again brings together its largest ecosystem education event series with its premier customer conference for a co-located event being held in Madrid, Spain, from November 13-16. With SAPPHIRE NOW, SAP offers its customers, partners, and prospects even more opportunities to engage in dialogue with peers, participants and thought leaders around the globe, and can gain insight as to how SAP is delivering on its product strategy and helping organizations around the world to run better. SAP TechEd brings IT managers, software developers, administrators, and business process experts together to learn in an interactive environment directly from the experts responsible for cutting-edge SAP technology. The co-located event provides access to the entire SAP ecosystem and enables attendees to learn how SAP can help their organizations run like never before. Follow on Twitter at @SAPPHIRENOW and @SAPTechEd, and join the conversation at #SAPPHIRENOW and #SAPTechEd.
Note to Editors:
Announcements, blog posts, videos and other coverage from SAPPHIRE NOW + SAP TechEd will be available in the Event Newsroom at www.events.news-sap.com. To preview and download broadcast-standard stock footage and press photos digitally, please visit www.sap.com/photos. On this platform, you can find high resolution material for your media channels. To view video stories on diverse topics, visit www.sap-tv.com. From this site, you can embed videos into your own Web pages, share video via e-mail links and subscribe to RSS feeds from SAP TV.
For more information, press only:
Jason Loesche, +1 (610) 661 8541, firstname.lastname@example.org, EST
Amisha Gandhi, +1 (415) 341 7101, email@example.com, PST
Christoph Weissthaner, +49 (6227) 7-63672, firstname.lastname@example.org, CET
SAP Press Office, +49 (6227) 7-46315, CET; +1 (610) 661-3200, EST; email@example.com
During SAPPHIRE NOW + SAP TechEd Madrid (from November 13 to 16), to speak with press contacts on site, please dial the SAP press room: +49 (6227) 7-46315.