Particularly in tough economic times, companies should concentrate on innovation and investment. According to SAP co-CEO Léo Apotheker, a rigid focus on cost cutting sends the wrong signal; now is the time for bold entrepreneurship.
At CeBIT in Hanover, Germany, SAP focused on small and midsize enterprises (SMEs). Around 4,500 SAP partners around the world currently support over 64,000 SME customers, which comprise over 78 percent of SAP’s customer base.
From March 3 to March 8, SAP and its partners concentrated on industry-specific business software based on the following SAP solutions for small businesses and midsize companies:
- SAP Business One
- SAP Business ByDesign
- SAP Business All-in-One
- Business intelligence solutions from the SAP BusinessObjects portfolio.
All these solutions help companies respond flexibly and efficiently to changing economic conditions while rapidly creating value and ensuring long-term investment security, as illustrated by the following examples:
- SAP Business One add-ons support production planning and controlling as well as project management, in addition to telephone integration for SAP Business ByDesign from Computer im Büro Dr. Grüneberg (CiB).
- TRADEsprint, FOODsprint, and FASHIONsprint are industry solutions from SAP partner cormeta that include special features for trade in technical fields, wholesale, food products, and textiles. Cormeta also offers a customized SAP solution for the butchery industry.
- Industry.PerformanceREADY from IDS Scheer combines best practices from ARIS and preconfigured SAP industry solutions in a process-oriented SAP implementation. This comprehensive and scalable ERP solution is designed primarily for companies in the investment, consumer products, discrete manufacturing, and pharmaceutical industries.
- The it.x-press solution from itelligence facilitates integration with express couriers such as UPS and FedEx through SAP NetWeaver Process Integration (SAP NetWeaver PI).
- ePages 6 Merchant from ePages Software and coresuite eCommerce plus from coresystems work with SAP Business One to provide seamless, real-time integration of online shops and ERP systems.
- An SAP Business One solution from CONPLUS Mittelstandslösungen enables companies to handle all of their electronic customs processing for exports, imports, and customs warehouse declarations quickly and easily through ATLAS.
- A product from inside Unternehmensberatung offers small businesses and midsize companies the chance to lease the full version of SAP ERP Human Capital Management, including hosting, licenses, self-service users, a portal, a technical hotline, and an ALE connection to their own SAP system.
- The SAP BusinessObjects text-analysis solution from Prisma processes unstructured data and includes a clinical data warehouse for increasing efficiency and optimizing processes in the evolving field of health care.
Efficient use of available resources
A further focus was on sustainability, where SAP plays “a unique dual role,” states Apotheker. On the one hand, SAP offers in conjunction with TechniData AG the enhanced solution SAP Environment, Health and Safety Management, which companies can use to promote their sustainabilty activities. On the other hand, SAP is leading by example: The company has committed to reducing its greenhouse gas emissions by 51 percent by 2020, representing a return to its levels from the year 2000.
All in all, the software company was satisfied with the feedback it received during CeBIT 2009. According to Volker Merk, CEO of SAP Germany, CeBIT continues to be the most important trade show for SAP in Europe, despite this year’s lower exhibitor turnout.
SAP Announcements at CeBIT 2009
- A new software solution for small communities of 20,000 to 100,000 people, SAP Business All-in-One for Double-Entry Accounting supports implementations of Germany’s new municipal financial system (NKF) and accounting system (NKR).
- SAP plans to integrate preconfigured SAP BusinessObjects into SAP Business All-in-One and implement data migration tools from SAP BusinessObjects.
- Increased collaboration with Intel will optimize the operation of SAP Business One applications with servers based on Intel Xeon processor technology.
- With its new online configuration interface, the company is seeking to enhance its fast-start program for rapid implementations of SAP Business All-in-One solutions. Using this tool, companies can assemble their SAP solutions online and receive an immediate price estimate.
- SAP intends to include the topic of sustainability in its long-term strategic planning. To support its planned emissions reduction, the company has created a multifunctional business area for sustainability and established the position of chief sustainability officer to oversee it.