The SAP Business ByDesign solution is SAP’s most recent product for small businesses and midsize companies. Unlike SAP Business One and SAP Business All-in-One, SAP Business ByDesign has only been on the market for around two years. With SAP Business ByDesign, SAP mainly wants to target midmarket companies in the automotive, high tech and electronics, mechanical engineering, discrete manufacturing, and mill products industries, as well as service providers and wholesalers. What makes the solution special is the fact that it is delivered on demand via a secure Internet connection and a standard Web browser.
Depending on their needs, companies can choose the following functionalities:
– Executive management support for achieving company goals
– Financial management for financials and accounting (general ledger accounting, accounts receivable accounting, accounts payable accounting, asset accounting, bank accounting, inventory accounting, dunning notices, collections)
– Customer relationship management – or CRM – including customer database, complaints management, returns, warranty processing, and contact history
– Human resources management for personnel administration (employee administration, organizational management, time and attendance management, payroll, and statutory reporting)
– Supply chain management for logistics, warehouse management, and material procurement (production planning, material requirements planning, order processing, physical inventory management, and support for barcodes and RFID)
– Project management for managing projects, scheduling and budget planning, sales management, time and attendance management, travel expense management, expense settlement, invoice and credit memo creation
– Supplier relationship management for managing purchasing processes (online shop system, catalog search, order status, order history)
– Compliance management to meet legal requirements and standards (standard reports, financial analyses)
Next Page: Why SAP Business ByDesign
Why SAP Business ByDesign?
SAP Business ByDesign is tailored to companies that need more than SAP Business One can offer but that find SAP Business All-in-One too comprehensive and costly. Additional IT employees don’t have to be hired for operating, hosting, and maintaining the software. SAP Business ByDesign is best suited to companies with only limited in-house IT resources. The functions can be rented for several months at a time and, if required, can be enhanced or omitted altogether. However, industry-specific functions – such as those offered with SAP Business All-in-One – are not available with SAP Business ByDesign. While five users are sufficient for SAP Business One, SAP Business ByDesign requires a minimum of 25.
No more servers in the basement
SAP Business ByDesign comes in the form of software as a service (SaaS). Users access the solution using their Internet browser, and there’s no need for additional hardware. The solution is maintained and hosted at one of SAP’s data centers, so your company’s basement doesn’t have to be filled with bulky server racks. You just need to buy an OSL (on-site link) box. New releases and updates are installed in the background, while business continues as usual. Implementing SAP Business ByDesign takes a maximum of three months.
Web 2.0 features
Thanks to the new Feature Pack 2.0, SAP Business ByDesign now has even more functions. The integration of Crystal Reports software from Xcelsius in the SAP BusinessObjects portfolio means that key figures and indicators can now be easily seen and data can be visualized. Service providers can now enjoy improved customer relationship management, with additional order-to-cash and procure-to-pay processes, project and resource management, and time and task recording. The upgraded version of the solution is compatible with Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Office, and can integrate Web services such as GoYellow, Google Maps, or Map24.
At the moment, SAP Business ByDesign is available for Germany, France, the United Kingdom, India, China, and the United States. A user license currently costs €133 a month.