SAP TechEd is a must for companies that deploy SAP. At the conference, IT professionals can get an insight into updates, new versions of technology platforms, enhanced road maps, and SAP’s general technology strategy for the upcoming months.
Last year, SAP Chief Technology Officer Vishal Sikka presented the new SAP HANA software. This year’s event will focus on the SAP NetWeaver technology platform, SAP BusinessObjects, plus in-memory computing.
A total of four SAP TechEds are to be held this year, at different times and in different regions. The series kicks off in Las Vegas, from September 12 through 16, and will be followed by Bangalore between October 19 and 21. Europe’s SAP TechEd will take place at the same time as SAPPHIRE NOW EMEA in Madrid, where technology will be combined with business from November 8 through 10. The final stage of SAP TechEd’s journey for 2011 will be in Beijing, where Asia’s IT specialists will gather from November 15 through 17.
In Las Vegas, there will be numerous workshops, product demos, customer stories, and a partner exhibition, as well as keynotes from the SAP management team. The workshops involve hands-on training and last between two and four hours. In the demo sessions, the focus is on road maps for SAP software, examples of use, and tips and tricks for implementations.
You can find out about SAP TechEd from the social media channels Facebook and Twitter. On Twitter, follow @sapteched or use the hash tag #sapteched. On Facebook, visit the SAP TechEd fan page here. What’s more, you can upload pictures of the event to Flickr using the “sapteched” tag.
Cyber games and OneRepublic on the agenda
In Las Vegas, the event will again be held at the Venetian/Palazzo Congress Center. Monday, September 12 will start with participant check-in and the ASUG (Americas’ SAP Users’ Group) conferences. The ASUG pre-conference offerings include seminars about SAP BusinessObjects 4.0 tools, SAP Solution Manager 7.1, SAP Master Data Governance, and the lifecycle of business processes, plus an SAP mobility deep-dive workshop.
At 5:45 p.m., guest speaker Jane McGonigal will take to the stage. McGonigal, a game designer and Director of Game Research and Development at the Institute for the Future in Palo Alto, California, will talk about cyber games and how computer games are changing our lives. On Tuesday, September 13, the event will really get going, when SAP CTO Vishal Sikka presents SAP’s technology strategy. And on Thursday, visitors will be treated to a genuine musical highlight – OneRepublic live on stage.
At SAP TechEd, participants can gain a deeper insight into application lifecycle management, business intelligence, performance management, enterprise information management, business process management, custom development, security, and mobile topics. Application lifecycle management centers on SAP Solution Manager, especially upgrade tools and project management. Business intelligence gets to grips with analyses, dashboards, reporting, EPM (enterprise performance management), in-memory computing, and mobile analysis.
The Enterprise Information Management track deals with content management, data integration and data quality management, enterprise data warehousing, and in-memory computing. Other topics at SAP TechEd this year include SAP NetWeaver Business Process Management, custom development for SAP Business Suite, security, identity and access management, mobile device management, and new mobile applications.
The highlights from 650 sessions
Many companies will be making an appearance at the partner exhibition – including Amazon Web Services, Cisco, Citrix, DataMAX Software Group, Dell, Fujitsu, HP, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, REALTECH, and Syclo.
But the lectures and hands-on workshops are also an opportunity not to be missed. There are almost 650 sessions over the three days. Here are some highlights:
Tuesday, September 13:
- Building Mobile iPhone Applications for SAP Business ByDesign Using SAP Business ByDesign Studio, 10 a.m.–12 midday
- SAP NetWeaver Portal Road Map and Future Directions, 10:15–11:15 a.m.
- SAP NetWeaver Process Integration Road Map, 10:15–11:15 a.m.
- Upgrading and Migrating to SAP BusinessObjects GRC 10.0, 10:15–11:15 a.m.
- Introduction to SAP Technology Strategy, 10:15–11:15 a.m.
- Update SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse 7.3 and Further Road Map, 10:15–11:15 a.m.
- SAP NetWeaver OnDemand: Overview and Road Map, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
- SAP Enhancement Package Implementation: What You Need to Know, 2–3 p.m.
Wednesday, September 14:
- Upgrading to SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence 4.0, 8–9 a.m.
- Integrating SAP In-Memory Appliance (SAP HANA) into Your System Landscape, 9:15–10.15 a.m.
- iPad, Adobe, Android…: UI Technologies to Integrate in SAP NetWeaver BPM, 9:15–10.15 a.m.
- SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse: Powered by SAP HANA, 2–4 p.m.
- Deep Dive into the SAP In-Memory Technology, Strategy, and Road Map, 5:45–6:45 p.m.
Thursday, September 15:
- Upgrade to SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse 7.30, 4:30–5:30 p.m.