Johannesburg — SAP AG (NYSE: SAP) today announced its continued commitment to helping developers focused on the SAP BusinessObjects portfolio to create and share reports that provide organisations with the information they need to optimise business performance.
The new Crystal Reports Developer Advantage offering provides developers a cost-effective licensing option to embed reporting capabilities within applications and to share those embedded reports with users outside of their organisation.
Since becoming an integrated part of the SAP community network, the SAP BusinessObjects community has grown 375% in seven months to 190 000 members, becoming the key communication platform for developers to share knowledge and add value to their business applications. The vibrant Crystal Reports developer community has fully embraced the new platform, posting over 7 000 new messages each month.
Crystal Reports Developer Advantage:
* Is a simple, economical way for independent software vendors (ISVs), value-added resellers (VARs) and IT departments in any organisation to distribute reports externally and include business intelligence (BI) capabilities within business applications.
* The current offering benefits companies with a one-time fee, royalty-free licence to share Crystal Reports embedded in applications to any number of external users, such as customers, vendors or partners.
* Enables developers to add more value to the applications they build or maintain, helping end-users to become more productive and make more confident decisions.
Expansion of the SAP BusinessObjects Community in 2008:
* Crystal Reports forum activity increased by 600%.
* Hundreds of blog posts from community members published, with three posts ranking in the top 10 for SCN page-views.
* Localised forums established for Chinese, Japanese and Korean languages.
Crystal Reports offering demonstrates continued market leadership:
* More than 5 million units shipped to developers worldwide.
* Won the Readers’ Choice Awards from ‘Visual Studio Magazine’ in the “Data Editing, Reporting, and Analysis Tools” category, for 13 consecutive years.
* Bundled with Microsoft developer solutions since 1993.
* “For years we have worked with companies to extend reporting to their external portals,” said Kevin McManus, founder and president of McManus Software and Consulting. “Crystal Reports Developer Advantage now allows us to add the industry’s leading reporting tool directly into our clients’ Web sites for their external users. It empowers organisations to deliver data to customers, partners or anyone who needs real-time access to reports.”
* “Our continued investment in the Crystal Reports family of offerings builds upon our strong relationship with the developer community,” said James Thomas, vice-president of product management, Volume Business Unit, SAP. “This new licensing model benefits corporate developers, commercial developers and project managers alike, enabling them to more easily provide everyone with the information needed to make smart business decisions. It’s a win-win scenario for everyone. The tremendous increase in forums and posts by our vibrant community is a solid testament that our recent efforts to provide developers with products and knowledge that meets their needs is paying off.”
* Crystal Reports Developer Advantage is available through volume resellers, the SAP BusinessObjects online store and telesales and original equipment manufacturer (OEM) channels.
Michael Jones, SAP Africa Principal Sales consultant, says Crystal Reports has a strong and active developer community within South Africa, as developers take advantage of the Crystal Reports free runtime engine to provide world-standard reporting within their bespoke applications.
SAP is the world’s leading provider of business software (*), offering applications and services that enable companies of all sizes and in more than 25 industries to become best-run businesses. With more than 82 000 customers in over 120 countries, the company is listed on several exchanges, including the Frankfurt stock exchange and NYSE, under the symbol “SAP”.
The SAP BusinessObjects portfolio transforms the way the world works by connecting people, information and businesses. With open, heterogeneous solutions in the areas of business intelligence; information management; governance, risk and compliance; and enterprise performance management, the SAP BusinessObjects portfolio enables organisations to close the gap between business strategy and execution.
For more information, visit www.sap.com.
(*) SAP defines business software as comprising enterprise resource planning and related applications.
Any statements contained in this document that are not historical facts are forward-looking statements as defined in the US Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Words such as “anticipate”, “believe”, “estimate”, “expect”, “forecast”, “intend”, “may”, “plan”, “project”, “predict”, “should” and “will” and similar expressions as they relate to SAP are intended to identify such forward-looking statements. SAP undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements. All forward-looking statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations. The factors that could affect SAP’s future financial results are discussed more fully in SAP’s filings with the US Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”), including SAP’s most recent Annual Report on Form 20-F filed with the SEC. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of their dates.
Copyright © 2009 SAP AG. All rights reserved.
SAP, R/3, mySAP, mySAP.com, xApps, xApp, SAP NetWeaver and other SAP products and services mentioned herein as well as their respective logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of SAP AG in Germany and in several other countries all over the world. All other product and service names mentioned are the trademarks of their respective companies. Data contained in this document serve informational purposes only. National product specifications may vary.
Note to editors:
To preview and download broadcast-standard stock footage and press photos digitally, please visit www.sap.com/stockfootage. On this newly launched platform you can find high resolution material for your media channels. To view video stories on diverse topics, visit www.sap-tv.com. From this site, you can embed videos into your own Web pages, share video via e-mail links and subscribe to RSS feeds from SAP TV.