India, Bangalore — Interview with Rajesh Jagtiani, Solution Manager – Human Capital Management, SAP India
What are customers looking for?
We all know that the need for timely information is crucial to a company’s success. And information needs cut across departments and various processes. To be successful it should be possible to get the right information to the right people at the right time.
Everyone needs to access information to quickly win the contract, resolve incipient problems, uncover anomalies, spot trends, and keep their businesses running competitively. But the information needed at any given moment – by employees, managers, distributors, partners, customers – is dispersed in myriad of systems and departments.
The requirement is to make it visible and instantly accessible with extended employee relationship management capabilities.
Following are various types of interactions possible:
- E2E: employees collaborate in projects, exchange information and participate in discussion forums
- E2M: employees have a relationship to their managers, they set objectives together. Individual employees objectives need to be aligned with the company’s objectives and business goals.
- E2B: Employee to business or employee to company, an employee interacts with different corporate departments i.e. HR, Financials, Sales in multiple processes and a company or department also pushes information like guidelines, reports, competitive information , product information to employees.
- E2X: employee to external, an employee goes to external websites to get information on their benefit plans, hire applicants from a job site or get information on a competitor.
What does SAP offer with regard to ERM solutions ?
mySAP HR provides the tools , content and technology to support a company’s ERM strategy.
mySAP HR has the employee relationship management capabilities that enable your workforce to share knowledge quickly and to build collaborative, interactive relationships. It offers role-based capabilities for Employees, Line Managers, HR Managers connected by workflows/security mechanisms to work efficiently with each other to ensure business results are met.
By leveraging existing technology channels (mobile, help desk, portal, and voice), the solution makes it easy for employees to connect with each other, their managers, outside suppliers, and everyone involved in the business.
Can you elaborate on this with an example:
Lets say there is a Sales Manager (lets say Mr. Bose) who is responsible for launching a new product, a notebook in the market.
This company has developed a new product, a new notebook (NP17). Therefore the company wants to launch this new notebook to the market.
Mr Bose has the task to identify an employee from his team who can take over the responsibility for this product launch. He needs to find the person with the right experience and competencies for doing this job.
Once the responsiblity is given to the identified employee and KRA’s defined, the job needs to get done and the employee needs information on the product, information on people within the company who have done a similar launch so that he can learn from them, go through a web based training, access product literature and work with his team to launch the product, besides doing various activities like his own travel booking, etc.
You will notice that for doing the above employees in companies needs to go through multiple systems.
mySAP solutions with its role based employee portal capabilities offers a single window for the employee to carry out all the above set of activities. The underlying solutions are all available from SAP.
In the above example, the mySAP HR applications which support the business requirement are:
- HR self-services (Employee Self Service, Manager Self Service) for giving access to employee and line managers
- Expert Finder for finding the person within the organization who had dome the product launch
- Competency, skills and career management
- Analytics and Measures
- Learning and employee development for Web based and Classroom training management and delivery
- Performance Management
- Employee portals and related content/knowledge management
- E-procurement (internal)
- Project Management
- Chat and Discussions room
- Time and Attendance – Managing working Time and Leave etc.
- Travel and Expense management for Managing the complete travel process etc.
mySAP ERM solutions cut across various underlying solutions seamlessly. We look at how various roles (e.g Marketing Manager, Sales Manager, Product Manager) interact within an organization and have built these role-based models as standard templates. This becomes a good starting point for any organization.
What do you see as benefits of having a great ERM strategy and the supporting ERM solutions ?
- Increased efficiency through automated processes
- Reduced cycle time
- Reduced costs per transaction
- Reduced error rates
Secondly, This would mean:
- Accelerated employee productivity
- Better alignment with company’s objectives
- Better communication within the organization and teams
- Greater Teamwork
- Channelizing the flow of information
- Being on top of all situations through proactive management
Also, It provides a service delivery platform that increases employee satisfaction.
Strategies can be optimized by tracking of KPI’s (measurement). All this would result in greater empowerment for employees, increased employee loyalty and retention and a great working environment.