For SAP customers, prospects, and partners, the most significant announcements of the year are made at the SAPPHIRE NOW and SAP TechEd events which take place at several locations around the world. This year, that was where SAP introduced the roadmap for SAP HANA; previewed Sales OnDemand, Travel OnDemand, and Career OnDemand; and announced the release of SAP NetWeaver 7.3.
With SAP TechEd and SAPPHIRE NOW both taking place in Madrid next week, it seems safe to assume that the SAP community will hear about further developments in the SAP solution portfolio. We will be attending SAPPHIRE NOW and reporting from the event daily. In the meantime, however, we have prepared a preview of the events including session highlights, hot topics, and links to event resources.
Keep reading for information on the event location and agenda.
The two events are co-located at Feria de Madrid in the North entrance of the convention center. SAP TechEd Madrid runs from Tuesday, November 8 – Thursday, November 10 and SAPPHIRE NOW runs from Wednesday, November 9 – Thursday, November 10. While the two conferences remain for the most separate, there are some events that both audiences can attend together.
From Demo Jams to acrobatics – it’s all happening in Madrid
On Tuesday evening, from 7-8:30 p.m., both SAP TechEd and SAPPHIRE NOW attendees can attend Demo Jam, the competition in which SAP customers, partners, and employees demonstrate the applications and technologies they have developed. The keynote speeches from Jim Snabe, SAP co-CEO, and Vishal Sikka, SAP Executive Board Member leading technology and innovation are also open to both audiences. Snabe will speak on Wednesday from 9-10:30 a.m. and Sikka will take the stage on Thursday, also from 9-10:30 a.m.
From Tuesday through Thursday, both SAP TechEd and SAPPHIRE NOW attendees can check out the exhibition hall where over 100 SAP partners, including Accenture, Fujitsu, HP, and VMware, are stationed. Finally, all event-goers can enjoy performances by Cirque du Soleil and Anastacia, which are scheduled for Thursday evening from 8-11 p.m. Your conference ID functions as your entrance ticket.
Keep reading for a detailed look at what you can expect from SAP TechEd Madrid.
SAP TechEd: IT lovers welcome
SAP TechEd Madrid is the event for IT professionals who are looking to get concrete insights into SAP solutions, updates, roadmaps, and technology. Event-goers can attend hands-on workshops, demos and lectures, partner exhibits, and customer-driven sessions. In the workshops, which last either two or four hours, attendees will get training and instruction for various SAP offerings. Lectures last either one or two hours and entail practical tips, demos, and roadmaps for specific solutions.
In total, there are nearly 650 sessions occurring over the course of SAP TechEd. Therefore, we recommend that you plan out your agenda before setting foot in Feria de Madrid. You can do this via the Agenda Builder on the web site for SAP TechEd Madrid.
There you can sort sessions according to this year’s featured topics, which are OnDemand, in-memory computing, sustainability, and orchestration, or according to track. The tracks include technology and infrastructure; Application Lifecycle Management; Enterprise Information Management; Business Process Management (Integration and Collaboration); Custom Development; Security, Compliance, Identity and Access Management; and Mobile.
Here is a sampling of some sessions that we think are worth highlighting:
Tuesday, November 8
- SAP NetWeaver Portal Roadmap and Future Directions, 8:30-9:30 a.m.
- The SAP On-Demand Platform Strategy, 9:45-10:45 a.m.
- Mobile Hybrid Web Container, 1-3 p.m.
- SAP Business ByDesign Studio: Building Mobile and Business Add-Ons, 3-5 p.m.
- SAP rapid-deployment solutions based on SAP HANA – the power of In-Memory, 3-3:30 p.m.
- Applications Powered by SAP HANA, 4:45-5:45 p.m.
Wednesday, November 9
- Managing Mobile Devices in the Enterprise, 1-3 p.m.
- Introduction to SAP River, 1:30-2 p.m.
- HTML5@SAP, 3-5 p.m.
- SAP UI Strategy and Roadmap, 3-3:30 p.m.
- SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse: Advanced by SAP In-Memory Computing, 5-7 p.m.
Thursday, November 10
- SAP NetWeaver Gateway Basics, 11-1 p.m.
- Building and Customizing a Mobile Application Without Writing Code, 11-1 p.m.
- Implementing SAP In-Memory Appliance (SAP HANA), 3-5 p.m.
- SAP Security in the Cloud, Mobile Security, and Security Standards, 3-5 p.m.
- How to Build Stunning SAP BusinessObjects Mobile Reports and Dashboards, 5-7 p.m.
Keep reading for a detailed look at what you can expect from SAPPHIRE NOW in Madrid.
SAPPHIRE NOW: Round Two in Madrid
At SAPPHIRE NOW, the sessions are geared towards senior executives, business managers, and line of business and IT decision-makers. This year the focus topics are OnDemand, in-memory computing, sustainability, and mobility. But with 349 sessions in just two days, there is sure to be something for everyone.
Each session is located at one of four campuses: business analytics, mobility, run better, and technology innovation. The business analytics campus features sessions on SAP’s solution portfolio for business intelligence; enterprise information management; data warehousing; enterprise process management; governance, risk and compliance; and for SMBs, specific industries, and lines of business.
At the mobility campus, SAP presents over 100 mobile apps and solutions and offers sessions on device management and security, mobile commerce, and its mobile strategy and platform. The run better campus is where visitors can learn all about SAP’s offerings for specific industries, lines of business (manufacturing, supply chain, procurement, customer relationship management), and companies of all sizes.
The sessions at the business analytics, mobility, and run better campuses will take the form of theater presentations, discussion panels, and microforums. At the technology innovation campus, attendees will find demos and test drive areas for in-memory computing, mobility, cloud computing, SAP NetWeaver, data management, SAP Labs and SAP Research.
The technology innovation campus also has discussion tables where attendees can talk with SAP technology experts about various topics, including deployment, business process management and integration, application lifecycle management, custom development, and security and identity management.
You can use the Agenda Builder to put together your itinerary for SAPPHIRE NOW. Below we have highlighted some SAPPHIRE NOW sessions in particular:
Wednesday, November 9
- Next-Generation Analytic Applications for Industry and Line of Business, Business Analytics Campus, 11-11:45 a.m.
- Understanding the Road Map for SAP HANA with SAP NetWeaver BW, Business Analytics Campus, 1-1:45 p.m.
- Introduction to SAP’s Cloud Strategy, Run Better campus, 1:30-1:50 p.m.
- Best Practices for Mobilizing SAP Business Suite Software, Mobility Campus, 2-2:45 p.m.
- What’s New in SAP Business ByDesign, Run Better Campus, 5:30-5:50 p.m.
Thursday, November 10
- SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse 7.3: Update and Impact of SAP HANA, Business Analytics Campus, 2-2:45 p.m.
- Getting Started with an SAP HANA Platform Implementation, Business Analytics Campus, 2-2:30 p.m.
- Preparing Your Architecture and Landscape for Mobility Adoption, Mobility Campus, 3-3:45 p.m.
- See the Future of SAP Business All-in-One Solutions, Run Better Campus, 3-3:20 p.m.